Location: DC Metro Area
Our well established non-profit client is seeking an Accounting Manager to join its team. Reporting to the Director of Finance, the Accounting Manager will be an important member of the finance department team.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following areas:
- Providing accurate and timely financial reports and analysis
- Managing the monthly financial close process including the recordation of all necessary recurring and adjusting journal entries
- Completion of all bank and balance sheet account reconciliations for Director of Finance review and approval
- Preparation of monthly draft financial reporting package for Director of Finance review and dissemination to executive leadership
- Production of monthly internal financial budget to actual reports for department leads and senior leadership team
- Identifying and explaining material variances between actual expense and budget; reporting significant issues to Director of Finance and senior management
- Maintaining the organization’s chart of accounts
- Ensuring the timely payment and accurate tracking of required capital loan payments associated with awarded New Market Tax Credit (NMTC)
- Supporting Director of Finance during annual financial audit process. This includes collaborating to perform internal audit testing prior to external audit fieldwork.
- Assisting Director of Finance in the annual organizational wide budgeting process and any related intermittent reforecasts
- Managing and further developing an orderly accounting filing system based on current record retention requirements and policies
- Actively participating in a continuous improvement loop with Director of Finance to consistently review and monitor the organization’s internal financial controls and processes
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance required
- 7+ years of experience in positions relevant to the responsibilities
- Prior experience with QuickBooks and DonorPerfect is a plus
- Demonstrated project management experience coordinating and prioritizing complicated projects with many moving parts
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively with all levels of staff, volunteers, donors, and prospective donors
- Desire to work with and some knowledge of communities that we serve in Wards 7 and 8 preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a focus on communications around key financial activities and budget to actual variances.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated proficiency in the use of software (Windows OS, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Strong research and analytical skills. Ability to investigate an issue, ask thoughtful questions and recommend possible solutions. Able to build a logical approach to addressing problems by drawing on own knowledge and experience or by seeking other references or resources as appropriate
- Able to set short-and long-term planning goals in line with organizational priorities and available resources. A task-oriented style, with a focus on achieving clear and ambitious goals. Demonstrated ability to meet multiple deadlines by maintaining a high level of organization while delivering a high-quality work product. Able to develop and move projects forward with independence and autonomy and maintain attention to detail and thoroughness in completing assigned duties
- Intellectually curious, creative and strategic thinker. Able to think out of the box, challenge conventional norms, and try new approaches
- A team player with a high level of energy, enthusiasm, and dedication to the mission and objectives of the organization. A commitment to working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, collaborative environment with shared goals and appropriate communication and coordination with colleagues
- Sound judgment and integrity with discretion in handling and securing confidential information, as well as the ability to conduct oneself in a highly professional manner
This role offers a competitive salary and robust benefits package.