Location: DC Metro Area
Our client, a well-established non-profit organization, is seeking a Controller who will report to the Vice President of Finance.
The Controller will manage all day-to-day finance operations including functional responsibility over accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and grants administration. The Controller will ensure that the organization has the systems and procedures in place to support effective program implementation and conduct flawless audits. The Controller will work closely with program leaders and staff, not only to educate them regarding finance and accounting procedures but also to explore how the finance function can support program operations.
The Controller will be charged with identifying new opportunities to improve efficiencies, eliminate backlogs, and respond proactively to other team needs. They will need to analyze the existing processes and systems and work closely with the Vice President of Finance to streamline current systems, leverage new information technology, and establish standard operating procedures. The Controller will execute strategies under the direct supervision of the Vice President of Finance and supervises three (3) Finance team members – Staff Accountant, Accounts Payable Specialist, and Accounts Receivable Specialist.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following areas:
- Manage all accounts, general ledgers, monthly financial statements, cash management and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements as well as all requirements specific to federal government contracts and cooperative agreements, federal procurement, and Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR).
- Supervise all accounting functions and systems, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, and cash receipts and ensure the timely processing of all payments.
- Complete monthly close no later than the 20th of each month. Maintain checklist and assignment of duties for closing entries.
- Ensure financial statements are prepared based on current FASB standards.
- Track bank deposits and payments and reconcile bank statements.
- Oversee all financial, project/program, and accounting of grants and sponsorships.
- In case of externally funded projects/programs, ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and sponsorship budgets for the duration of the period of external support.
- Collate all financial materials needed to comply with the reporting requirements associated with government, corporate, individual, and foundation grants and sponsorships.
- Clearly track multi-year temporarily held and permanently held net assets for budgeting, reporting, and auditing needs.
- Understand application of federal and state government grant regulations, reporting, audit, and management requirements according to FFATA.
- Oversee all financial accounting and management of contracts and cooperative agreements and produce all required materials needed to comply with reporting requirements.
- Responsible for all corporate and charitable registrations, licensing, and reporting to the IRS and in all relevant jurisdictions for the consolidated organizations.
- Coordinate production of the annual 990s and tax returns for all organizational entities.
- Ensure quarterly tax payments are made in a timely manner as applicable.
- Maintain copies of all state solicitation and charitable registrations.
- Understand 501c3, 501c4, and PAC financial standards, tracking, and processing requirements.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance managers.
- A positive attitude and an earnest interest in providing quality customer service to our members, stakeholders, and partners.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- At least 10 years’ experience of organizational finance experience, at least 5 in a nonprofit environment.
- Past experience with large Federal Grant Audits is required.
- B.S./B.A. in business administration/finance and accounting or related field; C.P.A. or M.B.A. is preferred.
- Excellent customer service and people skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience with ADP, Dynamics/SL, Sage Intacct and Vena Solutions preferred.
- Keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills which allow for strategic data interpretation versus simple reporting.
- Solid experience coordinating complex audit activities and managing reporting, budget development and analysis, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll, and accounting for investments
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple projects.
This role offers a competitive salary and robust benefits package.