Director, Donor Engagement
Location: DC Metro Area
Our client, a community non-profit organization, is seeking a Director, Donor Engagement, Women’s Philanthropy to join its team.
The Director is a relationship builder, working with donors and lay leaders (volunteers) to advance the organization’s mission and vision. The Director thrives on deepening connections, cultivating and stewarding leadership, and crafting and implementing engagement opportunities that strengthen individual and organizational relationships.
The Director is a dynamic team player and experienced fundraiser with a proven track record of cultivating relationships, building a donor pipeline, and soliciting gifts ($1K-10K) annually. The Director is responsible for increasing donor retention and acquisition via a donor-centric, cohort-based model, which includes small group activities, larger events, and immersive missions as well as individual donor portfolios.
Day-to-day, the Director works in partnership with volunteer lay leadership to set strategy in pursuit of the organization’s mission and supervises one development officer to implement. The Director reports to the Senior Director, Donor Engagement and is a key member of the development team.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following areas:
- Strategically oversee the fundraising strategy and analysis for a key constituency of our Donor Engagement team – Women’s Philanthropy
- Personally cultivate, solicit and steward a portfolio of donors and prospects, securing gifts through face-to-face solicitations as part of a $20M+ annual campaign
- Utilize considerable initiative, independence, originality, and responsibility for developing new methods and techniques for relationship building
- Work in partnership with other organization leaders to oversee management of cohort-based partners
- Collaborate with critical lay leadership (volunteers) to identity, initiate, and develop solicitation efforts, enhance current engagement initiatives, and foster opportunities for organizational and communal leadership development
- Develops and implements programming, events, and immersive travel experiences that further the organization’s philanthropic goals
- Works closely with key donors and cohorts, and with Donor Engagement team, will develop and implement cross-organizational engagement and fundraising strategies
- Directly manage one development officer
- Responsible for implementing and evaluating individual and team metrics on an ongoing basis to ensure that goals are being met and professional growth is fostered
- Partner with colleagues across the development team and across the organization to enhance the philanthropic engagement and leadership development of all donors, prospects and lay leaders
Qualifications and Experience
- First-hand knowledge of the Jewish community, its customs and practices
- 5-7+ years of experience in annual fundraising, donor engagement, customer service, sales, or relationship or account management
- 2+ years of managerial experience and a proven record of maintaining a collegial work environment
- Bachelors degree required
- MBA or Masters level degree in a related field preferred
- Demonstrated experience articulating a vision, translating it into executable strategy and driving cross-functional teams to deliver to established priorities with measurable positive impact on outcomes
- Experience in management of membership or volunteer operations and working volunteer committees
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong donor-relations skills: proven ability in cultivating prospects and creating donor engagement strategies that lead to greater philanthropic support
- Data-driven decision-maker who is comfortable with analytics and data management
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office; comfortable with and open to new technology
The organization offers a people-friendly environment including excellent health care and retirement benefits, generous time off, flexible work options and opportunities for continued professional development, including an annual stipend. This is currently a remote role and will have telework options.