Director of Accounting
Location: DC Metro Area
Our client, an established non-profit organization in the DC Metro area, is seeking an experienced Director of Accounting. The role will oversees the daily accounting and financial operations for the organization. Reporting directly to the Chief Operating Officer, strong working and strategic experience is critical for the role. It will also coordinate, analyze and report the financial performance to the Chief Operating Officer. This position is responsible for the preparation of all the financial reports and forecasts for use by senior management team and external parties. This position will be responsible for the annual audit and tax functions, as well as maintaining accounting policies and procedures.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following areas:
Management and Oversight
- Direct all work performed by the Accounting Department – hiring, training, conducting performance evaluations and establishing performance objectives for all personnel supervised.
- Maintain the accounting policies and procedures.
- Oversee all aspects of the accounting relating systems.
- Lead and/or participate in special projects as requested by the COO.
- Manage student tuition database, ensure accuracy of data, and generate reports.
Budget and Financial Planning
- Work with the COO to coordinate the creation, development, and monitoring of the organization’s budget and projection processes in alignment with its strategy and plan.
- Issue timely, accurate and complete financial statements and internal financial reports.
- Work closely with COO and the individual principals in reviewing school KPIs.
- Prepare all Board materials for committees and meetings.
Compliance and Monitoring
- Ensure all balance sheet and income statements are accurate.
- Ensure monthly and annual financials are completed within Accounting department guidelines.
- Oversee the audit PBC schedules in preparation for external auditors.
- Monitor cash flow.
- Ensure accurate and timely compliance on all appropriate tax filings.
- Knowledge of grants and monitoring activities for compliance.
- Ensure up to date technical accounting guidance in accordance with GAAP.
Human Resources Administration
- Oversee biweekly payroll processing for 125 employees.
- Benefits administration (Health and welfare, FMLA and other leaves of absence).
- Onboarding and off boarding of employees.
- Complete termination paperwork and assist with exit interviews.
- Facilitation of annual letters of appointment.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting from an accredited college or university.
- Five or more years related experience and supervision.
- CPA license or candidate highly preferred.
- Experience in Human Resources administration (benefits, on and off boarding, etc.).
- Familiarity with payroll administration.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Word; and other financial data systems.
- Attention to detail with strong organizational abilities.
- Excellent communicator, written and verbal.
- Strong supervisory experience.
This organization offers excellent benefits and salary commensurate with experience.