Director of Institutional Giving
Location: DC Metro Area
Our well established client is seeking a Director, Institutional Giving to join its team. The Director, Institutional Giving is responsible for identifying and securing new sources of funding from Corporations, Foundations, and Impact Investors that will result in significant financial gifts to advance the Strategic Priorities of the client.
This individual will work to ensure that corporate and foundational giving, as well as partnerships with collaborative organizations, is a vibrant component of an overall comprehensive fundraising strategy that supports the initiatives of the Strategic Priorities.
Primary Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following areas:
- Working with the Chief Development Officer, develop and implement a plan for a strong and sustainable corporate and foundation giving program and vehicles for impact investing.
- Work with Strategic Priority Leads to develop plans to promote the client’s special initiatives for corporate, foundation, and other investment engagement.
- Identify and engage institutional funders and make requests for significant gifts and grants.
- Develop relationships with corporate gift officers and foundation decision-makers.
- Conduct and oversee research to effectively cultivate prospective funding partners.
- Manage grant proposals and maintain the master calendar for the submissions.
- Preparation of reports and compliance for specific programs and projects funded.
- Responsible for procuring corporate underwriting of the Annual Gathering.
- Motivates and communicates effectively with staff from Program Services.
- Assures all contact with funders and prospective partners is properly and accurately recorded in the client’s database.
- Leads efforts to acknowledge gifts from corporations and foundations properly – within established policies and guidelines.
- Prepare monthly updates regarding the strategies for the continued growth of the corporate and foundation giving program, as well community development investment opportunities.
- Create systems ensuring compliance is met; with emphasis on code of ethical principles and standards of professional conduct.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Proven track record in securing gifts from institutional level donors and funders
- Exceptional skills in working with corporate and foundational leadership.
- Excellent research and analytical skills. Ability to optimize opportunities for funding.
- Exceptional communication skills and ability in making exciting presentations.
- Writing compelling proposals with strong cases for support.
- Strong knowledge of and commitment to the client’s mission, vision, and values.
- High level of personal and professional integrity.
- Take initiative and require minimal direction.
- Exercises significant leadership in the client’s mission to Reduce Poverty in America.
- Team player with high energy and passion for the mission.
- Ability to meet deadlines and multi-task in a fast pace environment.
- Strong project management skills.
- Legal and ethical requirements for donor-designated funding.
- Record-keeping and compliance reporting for foundation grants.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Maintain confidentiality and discretion in business matters pertaining to donors.
- Ensure the highest performance of assigned support staff
Education & Experience Requirements
Any combination of education and experience providing the required knowledge, skills, and abilities, including:
- Bachelor’s degree. Master’s degree preferred.
- Strong history in securing large grants from private foundations.
- Experience working with corporations, in securing large gifts and event sponsorships.
- 10+ years experience in development; with a proven track record.
- Relational database experience.
This organization offers an excellent salary and benefits package.