Leadership Academy Director
Location: DC Metro Area
**Only candidates local to DC/MD/VA area are being considered at this time**
Our client believes that our Democracy is only truly healthy when every community has the power and capacity to elevate their own leaders to elected office, and where any leader from any community has the tools, opportunity, and knowledge to run for office. With over 115,000 lifetime immigrant, Latino, and working class members, our client has a deep and longstanding commitment to leadership development within our membership. Our client has a history of powerful electoral/policy advocacy, and now, candidate development as well.
Our client seeks to hire a Director of Leadership Development & Democracy that will lead their electoral candidate pipeline program. This program seeks to empower its members, immigrants, and working class people to become elected and political leaders in their town, city, county, or state. The Director will be a highly effective, self-motivated leader that has 5+ years of experience in electoral and political campaigns, grass-roots organizing, progressive policy advocacy, and/or leadership development.
The ideal candidate for this position is committed to racial justice, equity, amplifying voices that have been historically marginalized, and working toward a transformative society that values all of humanity. Our client believes in the power of their members. The Director will recruit, train, empower and foster meaningful relationships with members interested in becoming elected or movement leaders in their communities.
Additionally, the director will work closely with the Executive Director and key external partners to develop and implement the candidate leadership pipeline program. They will be responsible for building their own team of electoral trainers, campaign experts, fundraising consultants, etc. to implement the program. Candidate and leadership development pipeline work constitutes the majority of job responsibilities for this position, but additional responsibilities include support for their electoral and advocacy programming.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following areas:
- Work directly with the Executive Director and staff to develop programmatic goals, metrics, deliverables, outcomes, timeline, etc.
- Responsible for implementation and managing the day-to-day operations of the program.
- Based on analysis, needs assessment and outcomes, oversee candidate recruitment strategies including, attending in-person or virtual member meetings, working with organizers, utilizing salesforce, social media, etc.
- Provide hands-on mentoring for candidates who are in the program to assure political knowledge, campaign planning, and overall success.
- Negotiate contracts with vendors and manage all relationships and contracts related to the leadership program to make recommendations to the Executive Director for final approval.
- Strategize with communications department to develop marketing and branding materials; and responsible for promoting the program.
- Responsible for working with staff and partners to develop program curriculum, educational materials, and all other related materials or opportunities to ensure the success of the program.
- Develop, track, and review local, state, and federal proposed legislation, policies, and laws related to campaign finance, voting rights, elections, etc.
- Write policy memos, briefs, and reports for key audiences that translate data insights into actionable policy recommendations.
- Independently draft and author incisive short publications related to voting rights, elections, leadership, campaign finance, etc.
- Synthesize research and policy insights into products tailored to different audiences.
- Responsible for developing, monitoring and tracking Diversity, Inclusion & Equity goals.
- Representation on key election related coalitions, actions, fundraising, campaigns, media interviews etc.
- Facilitate, monitor, and track endorsement processes.
- Will work closely with Development Department to facilitate and assist in fundraising efforts.
- Attend Board and Leadership Council meetings, and membership meetings.
- Will work closely with the electoral program team to ensure programs are being implemented with fidelity and participate in election programs as assigned.
- Meet deadlines established by the supervisor and in the Department and individual work plan.
- Participate actively in the annual planning process, including developing and executing individual work plans, evaluating, and providing feedback on plans as the year progresses.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Must have an Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree, and Masters Degree is a plus.
- At least five years of experience combined in either grassroots organizing or electoral campaign work in a role that includes electoral campaign planning and leadership development.
- Must have reliable transportation, Valid US Driver’s License and automobile insurance.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
- Background in leadership or program development.
- Experience working with immigrant, working-class, and historically marginalized communities
- Excellent writing and public speaking skills.
- Previous management experience.
- Experience in working with local, state and national political coalitions.
- Highly organized and able to manage multiple ongoing projects.
- Position requires strong attention to detail and relentless follow-up.
- Self-motivated with a track record of displaying leadership and building team morale.
- Strong interpersonal communication, conflict resolution and negotiation skills.
- Ability to connect with a wide variety of elected, administrative, organizational, and grassroots leaders.
- Outgoing and highly charismatic personality.
- An understanding of racial equity tools.
- Strong understanding of legal parameters for electoral organizing in 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) contexts.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Must be able to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends.
This organization offers a full and robust benefits package. Salary range for this position is $75,000 – $80,000/year.