Director of Membership Development
Location: DC Metro Area
Director of Membership Development *Candidate must live in the DMV area* Salary Range: Up to $180,000 (based on experience)
The Director of Membership Development will independently lead efforts to develop, implement, and manage all aspects of programs and initiatives to recruit and retain corporate supporters. The position will supervise a team of membership professionals and work in close coordination with the policy team to conceptualize and implement initiatives aimed at providing value and driving engagement with and among corporate supporters. The Director of Membership Development will also oversee the systems and processes necessary to manage the day-to-day membership lifecycle, from prospecting, to onboarding, to renewals/billing, engagement touchpoints, and reporting.
This is a full-time position based in the Washington, DC office. A hybrid work environment where staff is currently only required to work in-office one day per week.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following areas:
- Design and implement initiatives to define and increase the value proposition of being a corporate supporter across various giving tiers
- Design and implement engagement and retention plans for all member types
- Identify and manage resources, processes, and procedures needed for member support activities
- Supervise Membership Manager, Membership Events Manager, and Membership Associate in managing the day-to-day business relationship between the organization and each of its corporate supporters (e.g. billing, renewals, follow up, etc.)
- Conceptualize and facilitate peer-to-peer engagement opportunities for corporate supporters, both in-person and virtually, to include:
- Identifying relevant focus areas and participants for these gatherings
- Working with policy staff to design topical programming as necessary
- Designing metrics by which to evaluate the effectiveness of each gathering
- Continuing the current peer-to-peer programming, while looking for new ideas and ways in which to engage members (e.g. “delegation” trips to regional offices, side-events at relevant conferences, engagement through the membership portal, etc.)
- Liaise with policy staff to ensure that corporate supporters are effectively plugged into ongoing programmatic activities (such as issue-focused Working Groups)
- Develop systems and metrics by which to track and report out on member engagement
- Partner with communications, events and policy teams to drive development of high value communications and activities tailored to the needs of the corporate supporter and/or prospect audiences
- Independently, or in partnership with prospecting consultant, identify new prospects, initiate contact for designated target companies, and cultivate these relationships
- Bachelor’s degree
- 7-10 years of related work experience in development and/or member management with a nonprofit organization or membership or trade association, a plus is CAE credential
HOW TO APPLY: *Candidate must live in the DMV area*
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we are unable to respond to all candidates. We will be directly in touch with candidates to schedule a screening call.