Senior Director, Planned Giving
Location: DC Metro Area
Our well established client is seeking a Director of Planned Giving to join its team. The Director of Planned Giving is responsible for cultivating relationships with both existing donors and qualified prospects capable of making gifts of complex assets, as well as deferred financial gifts to benefit the client.
This individual is involved in a full range of marketing and development duties, including working with other development staff to ensure that both complex gifts that benefit operations, and planned gifts for future strategic priorities are an integral component of a comprehensive donor-focused fundraising strategy.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following areas:
- Develop and implement a plan to establish a robust Planned Giving Program.
- Work with the Department’s Database Team to identify individuals currently in the clients donor database as prospects for planned gifts, particularly members of the organization’s Legacy Society.
- Cultivate current donors in a concerted effort to have them consider making the client a beneficiary in their estate planning.
- Work with Marketing Director to create materials that promote the Planned Gift Program.
- Maintain an impeccable filing system of legal documents associated with all planned gifts and intentions, including annuities – estates – trusts – bequests.
- Provide ongoing reports to ensure donors receive appropriate & timely information.
- Create and manage an Action Report for the receipt of expected contributions, and those due, that facilitate the most expeditious manner possible for securing funds.
- Identify, research and cultivate prospective donors, not currently in the clients database, for making gifts to the clients DAF – Donor Advised Fund
- Ensure timely correspondence and proper acknowledgment of applications
- Set up funds with Renaissance Charitable in a timely manner
- Fund divestment management of monies deposited in accounts
- The approval process for Recommended Grants by DAF clients
- Build necessary relationships to maintain a list of allied legal, accounting, and financial planning professionals that result in the client being a preferred charity of their clients.
- Ensure timely correspondence and proper acknowledgment of major and planned gifts.
- Coordinate with the client’s leadership as well as legal and financial representatives of donors to ensure the appropriateness of major and planned gifts, to ensure donor intention.
- Direct and manage a Gift Annuity Program, including relationships with fiduciaries.
- Prepare reports for donors regarding their bequests, trusts, and annuities.
- Manage the Master Report for Planned Giving, ensuring access to the most up-to-date information is available to the Finance Dept. and auditors at all times.
- Create systems for regulatory reports, ensuring compliance with all State & Federal laws.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Exceptional skills in working with high-net-worth individuals.
Knowledge of the Advantages of Giving:
- Through CGAs
- By establishing CRTS
- To a donor-advised fund
- Using charitable beneficiaries for IRAs
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Experience writing presentations and proposals.
- Political sensitivity and the ability to foster trust and respect.
- Excellent research and analytical skills.
Understanding of Estate Planning, including:
- Gift annuities and
- Beneficiary insurance policies.
- Ability to interpret Tax laws.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to: Maintain confidentiality and discretion in business matters pertaining to donors.
- Participate in continuing education to remain up-to-date on trends as well as laws.
- Establish relationships with gift planners, financial planners and advisers, and fiduciaries.
Education & Experience Requirements
Any combination of education and experience providing the required knowledge, skills, and abilities, including:
- Bachelor’s degree. (Master’s Degree preferred)
- 5+ years experience in planned giving or as a major gifts officer with a proven track record and experience in preparing presentations and writing proposals.
- Experience with donor-advised funds is strongly preferred.
- Relational database experience, Black Baud Raiser’s Edge database preferred.
- Team player with high energy and passion for the mission.
- Ability to multi-task, while meeting multiple deadlines.
This organization offers an excellent salary and benefits package.