Director of Public Policy
Location: DC Metro Area
Our client is a thriving non-profit organization and a great place to work! They are seeking a Director of Public Policy to join their team. Our client is an innovative and dynamic professional association committed to the principles of inclusion, diversity, access, and equity. They are an equal opportunity employer and encourage professionals of diverse backgrounds to apply.
The Director of Public Policy serves as lead staff for the organization’s policy agenda across multiple issue areas. This position plays a key role in establishing public policy positions, developing and strengthening relationships with relevant federal agencies and external stakeholders and developing and implementing strategies to advance public policy agenda and to position society as a central resource and authority on research, public health and science policy.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following areas:
- Develop and implement public policy agenda
- Develop and implement strategic plans to advance policy priorities in research, diagnostics and public health (e.g. physician-scientist workforce; biomedical and regulatory science; public health and pandemic preparedness; biosecurity; regulation of federally funded research; diagnostics regulation and reimbursement, R&D, clinical integration); assess policy landscape to judge and prioritize emerging policy issues and opportunities
- Provide strategic guidance and lead activities for policy committees: Diagnostics, Public Health, Research and associated advisory groups
- Develop policy reports/documents and other products, including comment letters in response to federal draft guidance/regulations and similar documents, and organize conferences and other meetings as necessary to support the Society’s policy and advocacy goals
- Identify agencies, individuals or other stakeholders (associations/societies, advocacy organizations, industry, etc.) with the potential to help inform or advance policy goals and create and pursue opportunities to forge these relationships. Strengthen strategic relationships with NIH, CDC, FDA, AHRQ, and other federal agencies.
- Support member subject matter experts on public health, research, and diagnostics policy priorities, and serve as the staff subject matter expert on these priorities providing internal consultation to the organization’s leadership and staff as well as to external parties, including federal policymakers, as appropriate
- Provide updates of activities to and written summaries of activities in report form to the Board, Executive Committee, and members, as appropriate
- Direct reports – Senior Public Policy Coordinator
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Experience
- Five (5) years of progressive experience, including policy analysis, policy research and work with committees, government agencies and non-governmental entities
- Advanced degree in science, public health, public policy or related field, or equivalent experience
- NIH, CDC, FDA or other federal agency experience developing federal public health, science or research policy helpful
- Physician or scientific association experience managing volunteer committees, developing policy positions and working with federal agencies to advance policy objectives helpful
Required Skills and Competencies
- Ability to think and plan strategically
- Ability to manage change effectively and engage collaboratively
- Excellent verbal and written communications/interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects on multiple deadlines
- Knowledge of science, research or public health policy
- Knowledge of infectious diseases and diagnostics helpful
- Demonstrates sound people-management skills
The client is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, socioeconomic status, marital or veteran status. We also welcome those of all abilities and make reasonable accommodations to support successful outcomes for our team members.
Our client has a mandatory vaccine policy in place as a condition of employment (applicable accommodations apply) and all offers of employment are contingent upon a successful background check.
Our client offers a highly competitive total compensation package, offers flexible work, and telework arrangements and our organizational culture is highly rated by staff. Our new office is located two blocks from the metro and has a free gym onsite.