Payroll Accounting Specialist
Location: DC Metro Area
Our client, a well-established non-profit organization, is seeking a Payroll Accounting Specialist.
The Payroll Accounting Specialist will manage all day-to-day payroll functions operations, grants administration and other accounting duties. The Payroll Accounting Specialist will work with the Accounting Manager and Vice President of Finance ensure that the organization has the systems and procedures in place to support effective program implementation and conduct flawless audits. The Payroll Accounting Specialist will work closely with program leaders and staff, not only to educate them regarding payroll and grant management but also to explore how the finance function can support program operations.
The Payroll Accounting Specialist will be charged with identifying new opportunities to improve efficiencies, eliminate backlogs, and respond proactively to other team needs. They will need to analyze the existing processes and systems and work closely with the Accounting Manager and Vice President of Finances to streamline current systems, leverage new information technology, and establish standard operating procedures.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following areas:
- Process payroll in ADP Workforce Now
- Working knowledge of payroll laws and regulations
- Manage workflow to ensure all payroll transactions are processed timely and accurately.
- Provide excellent customer service to employees inquiries in the areas of compensation, taxes, benefits, timeclock operations, and PTO.
- Process employee data for new hires or employee changes.
- Approve timekeeping records prior to each pay period’s deadline.
- Weekly calculation and distribution of commission reports.
- Process 401K, 403B, HSA and garnishment payments.
- Process 940/941 tax payments.
- Process accurate and timely year end reporting (W-2, W-2c, 1095).
- Develop ad hoc financial and operational reporting as needed.
- Process manual checks as needed.
Grants Management / Accounting
- Complete monthly close no later than the 20th of each month. Work with team on ensuring checklist and assignment of duties for closing entries.
- Oversee all financial, project/program, and accounting of grants and sponsorships.
- In case of externally funded projects/programs, ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and sponsorship budgets for the duration of the period of external support.
- Collate all financial materials needed to comply with the reporting requirements associated with government, corporate, individual, and foundation grants and sponsorships.
- Clearly track multi-year temporarily held and permanently held net assets for budgeting, reporting, and auditing needs.
- Understand application of federal and state government grant regulations, reporting, audit, and management requirements according to FFATA.
- Oversee all financial accounting and management of contracts and cooperative agreements and produce all required materials needed to comply with reporting requirements.
- Responsible for all corporate and charitable registrations, licensing, and reporting to the IRS and in all relevant jurisdictions for the consolidated organizations.
- Coordinate production of the annual 990s and tax returns for all organizational entities.
- Ensure quarterly tax payments are made in a timely manner as applicable.
- Maintain copies of all state solicitation and charitable registrations.
- At least 5-8 years’ experience of payroll processing experience, at least 3 of which should be in grant management and accounting in a nonprofit environment.
- B.S./B.A. in business administration/finance and accounting or related field.
- Experience with ADP, Sage Intacct and Vena Solutions preferred.
- Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including payroll, finance, and non-finance managers.
- A positive attitude and an earnest interest in providing quality customer service to our members, stakeholders, and partners.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills which allow for strategic data interpretation versus simple reporting.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple projects.
This role offers a competitive salary and robust benefits package.