Planned Giving Officer
Location: DC Metro Area
Our client is a thriving non-profit organization and a great place to work! They are seeking a Planned Giving Officer to join their team. Our client is an innovative and dynamic professional association committed to the principles of inclusion, diversity, access, and equity. They are an equal opportunity employer and encourage professionals of diverse backgrounds to apply.
The Planned Giving Officer is responsible for an initial portfolio of 75 – 100 planned giving prospects with focus on planned gifts ranging from $50,000 to $1,000,000+. The position works closely with the Director of Philanthropy and Executive Director for the strategic development and implementation of a comprehensive fundraising plan for the management of current donors and prospects. The Planned Giving Officer serves alongside a fundraising team charged with meeting and increasing the targeted portfolio. The position leads all efforts to conceptualize, cultivate and lead planned giving development strategy and activities, meeting the established Strategic Plan goals of the portfolio. The Planned Giving Officer is responsible for the operational execution and success of planned giving and its coordination with the donor relations staff.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following areas:
- Develop donor pipeline and enrich donor relationships leading to new planned gift commitments from an initial portfolio of 75-100 prospects through personalized correspondence such as emails, phone calls, and letters, as well as a variety of virtual tools and face to face personal visits.
- Assist in the development and creation of planned giving marketing materials to appeal to a diverse range of donors through newsletters, advertisements, online media and website, print solicitations and brochures.
- Utilize the existing Crescendo portfolio of planned giving tools in conjunction with our internal marketing and communications team who amplify these activities.
- Respond to planned giving inquires within 24-hours with the individualized service and engagement necessary to establish relationships build rapport and ascertain charitable goals.
- Serve as a resource to staff, board of directors and key volunteers on the techniques of planned giving, and when appropriate, offer advice and guidance in the development of new planned gifts. This includes collaborating with the Director of Philanthropy/Major Gift Officers to create and implement strategies that present the donor with opportunities to maximize the benefit and impact of their charitable giving.
- Maintain knowledge of developing trends within philanthropy and the field of planned giving by attending meetings, training sessions and conferences, as well as staying current on changes in tax and gift laws as they pertain to charitable giving and the administration of planned gifts.
- Prepare gift illustrations and proposals for vehicles such as charitable gift annuities.
- Maintain donor records, including gift annuity and pooled income fund records, in physical form as well as our database and gift administration software (SalesForce).
- Seek the advice of tax, legal and other advisors on complex matters when appropriate.
Qualifications and Experience
- An equivalent combination of education and experience that includes membership or donor engagement experience leading to enriched and trusted relationships; or a bachelor’s degree and at least 5-7 years of work experience in planned giving or a related field
- Working knowledge of planned giving techniques, current trends in philanthropy, and basic estate and financial planning for individuals, including tax implications of charitable giving.
- Clear, compelling, and persuasive presenter/public speaker and writer, able to share your passion about the mission to respectfully inspire others to support a variety of programs.
- A collaborative team member with emotional intelligence, creativity, flexibility, initiative, and a track record of working in a solution-oriented manner and ability to relate well with people of diverse backgrounds and experiences.
- Able to work independently in a dynamic environment, exercise good judgment and decision-making to achieve time sensitive goals and meet project deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Specific fundraising certifications such as CAP, CFRE, CSPG, FCEP a plus.
- Experience working in a medical society, hospital, medical school, or colleges/universities a plus.
- Familiarity with conservation and equity issues sufficient to share the mission and values of the organization with prospects and donors.
- Possess general computer proficiency in Microsoft Office, a CRM database and planned giving software, preferably PG Calc Manager and PG Calc Giftwrap.
- Ability to travel to meet with donors and prospects up to 30% to achieve the organizations goals.
- Excellent organizational, communications, presence and analytic skills as well as adaptability.
Required Skills and Competencies
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, reliable, and flexible
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment
- A driving force who manages toward clarity, finds solutions and can think strategically about the mission of the organization
The client is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, socioeconomic status, marital or veteran status. We also welcome those of all abilities and make reasonable accommodations to support successful outcomes for our team members.
Our client has a mandatory vaccine policy in place as a condition of employment (applicable accommodations apply) and all offers of employment are contingent upon a successful background check.
Our client offers a highly competitive total compensation package, offers flexible work, and telework arrangements and our organizational culture is highly rated by staff. Our new office is located two blocks from the metro and has a free gym onsite.