Senior Accounting Manager
Location: DC Metro Area
Our well established non-profit client is seeking a Senior Accounting Manager who will be primarily responsible for grant accounting and management duties, producing internal and external financial reports, and ensuring that monthly closing procedures are accurately and timely executed. Additionally, the Senior Accounting Manager will liaise with client’s departments through monthly budget review.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following areas:
General Ledger Duties
- Maintain the monthly closing calendar and execute the schedule to meet internal deadlines.
- Support the Controller and Assistant Controller with the month-end and year-end general ledger closing procedures.
- Reconcile balance sheet accounts on a monthly/quarterly basis, as directed.
- Liaise with departments to reconcile the accounting records to source information.
- Maintain and update the fixed asset register.
- Process payroll and benefits journal entries promptly and reconcile the withholding and other payroll liability accounts.
- Approve accounts payable postings and payment batches for proper release.
- Approve biweekly payroll processing.
- Facilitate the complete and accurate posting of all cash receipts and revenue recognition entries.
- Serve as the liaison with business technology and third-party providers to ensure enterprise resource planning (ERP) and integrated systems are in sync and functioning effectively.
Operational Assessment Duties
- Establish or update critical transactional processes to ensure efficiency and strengthen internal controls.
- Liaise with key transactional stakeholders to troubleshoot issues and brainstorm effective solutions.
- Build interdepartmental relationships and facilitate provision of requested financial data for grant proposals, banking forms, etc.
- Support the planning, development, implementation, budgeting, and maintenance of department functions.
- Administer and manage policies, standards, practices, and security measures to assure effective and consistent department operations.
- Recruit, hire, train, supervise, mentor, evaluate and develop assigned associates according to client’s policies and procedures, ensuring the overall smooth functioning of the department, and consulting appropriate Human Resources staff as indicated.
- Provide guidance and direction for development of all assigned associates to improve the overall professionalism of the department and the support provided to client.
- Plan and support the continual upgrading of equipment and procedures to maintain pace with technological progress, economic change, and business needs.
- Perform standard administrative and supervisory administrative duties including weekly scheduling, timesheets, expense reports, etc.
Finance/Accounting Team Support Duties
- Prepare records, schedules, and reports as requested by Accounting/Finance leadership.
- Support audit and tax preparation.
- Maintain complete and accurate files for all financial transactions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BA/BS degree in Accounting required. Master’s degree in business discipline preferred.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Management Accountant (CMA) preferred.
- Minimum of 5 to 8 years’ experience in accounting in roles with progressive responsibility.
- Demonstrated experience in financial accounting in medium to large not-for-profit organizations preferred.
- Previous experience in financial accounting for public companies a plus but not required.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Proficient in MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, SharePoint, PowerPoint).
- Experience in ERP systems a plus.
- Ability to perform in a team-oriented environment effectively.
- Strong organizational skills, communication skills, and the ability to prioritize.
- This position may require travel for up to 5% of the time (local, regional, national).
This role offers a competitive salary and robust benefits package.